[xmonad] Shift windows around

Tony Morris tonymorris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:46:06 EDT 2010

When the machine boots I am going to start several of the same
application. I want to ensure they each get their own workspace. That
is, no two instances of this application will ever appear on the same
workspace.

This is why I think doF may be appropriate, but I am not completely sure
and struggling to improve this confidence with the types.

On 23/09/10 23:56, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 04:41:17PM +1000, Tony Morris wrote:
>
>> Hello, I have 0 or more windows with a specific class name and I'd like to
>> move each to its own workspace. Is this possible?
>>
> I'm not sure I fully understand what you want to do.  Is this
> something you want to do immediately when each window is created? (In
> that case a ManageHook may be indeed what you want.)  Or is this
> something you would want to do at some later time?  Also, is there a
> 1-1 correspondence between class names and workspaces?  Or did you
> mean that there are a bunch of windows with the SAME class name (say
> "foo") and you want to take all the windows with class name "foo" and
> move each to a separate workspace?
>
> All of these are possible but the way to accomplish them depends on
> precisely what you're trying to do.
>
> -Brent

Tony Morris
http://tmorris.net/