[xmonad] Dual-Monitor setup with GNOME (Help!)

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 11:34:58 EDT 2009

Excerpts from Alexey Feigin's message of Thu Oct 15 00:07:46 -0600 2009:

> Normally I use xmonad with gnome. When I connected the second monitor and
> configured xorg.conf with Xinerama, the second monitor just shows the
> background and I can't move any windows into it. I can move my mouse into it
> and select things from menus in the gnome bar, but the windows always appear
> on the primary monitor. (Also, the second monitor appears to have a second
> mouse, with a cursor that looks like an X, not the gnome cursor.)
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 with xmonad 0.8.
> The video card is ATI Radeon HD 3450 (using fglrx).

There are two sections in the FAQ on the wiki that might help:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions

I would start with the Configuration/Multi-head & Workspaces one, to see
if mod-w mod-e, mod-shift-e, etc., and workspace switching works as it's
supposed to. If not then you could go to the Multi-head troubleshooting part
to make sure your haskell x11 was compiled with xinerama support, but I
suspect that your haskell setup is okay, from what you describe.

If default xmonad screen and workspace handling isn't working correctly I'd
suspect your multi-head is actually not in a xinerama configuration but
rather using separate X displays. Unfortunately I know nothing about ATI
xinerama configuration, hopefully others can step in if that does turn out
to be the problem.

regards,
--
wmw