[xmonad] Dual-Monitor setup with GNOME (Help!)

Alexey Feigin mysteriousentity at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 02:07:46 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I scored an extra monitor at uni but am having trouble setting it up with
xmonad.

Normally I use xmonad with gnome. When I connected the second monitor and
configured xorg.conf with Xinerama, the second monitor just shows the
background and I can't move any windows into it. I can move my mouse into it
and select things from menus in the gnome bar, but the windows always appear
on the primary monitor. (Also, the second monitor appears to have a second
mouse, with a cursor that looks like an X, not the gnome cursor.)

I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 with xmonad 0.8.
The video card is ATI Radeon HD 3450 (using fglrx).

Please help. I don't want to give up xmonad just to use the second screen.

Alex