[xmonad] Re: Only report focused workspace as active to EWMH

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Sun Oct 11 13:59:19 EDT 2009

Joachim Breitner writes:
> I didn’t try it, because at the moment I don’t have a second screen, but
> from what I read, I’m unsure if it’s a good idea.
>
> Not having windows that are not on the current workspace show up in
> window lists is a bad idea, as more than just a workspace switcher
> relies on that (window lists, and even unrelated tools like my arbtt,
> need to have all windows in _NET_CLIENT_LIST).
>
> (but maybe I’m misunderstanding your patch)

I don't mess with _NET_CLIENT_LIST, it still reports all windows.

If you have two monitors, and they're pointing at workspaces 1 and 2,
with 1 being active and 2 merely visible, my patch reports the windows
on 1 as belonging to workspace 1 (the active workspace) and the windows
on 2 as belonging to workspace 2.

The previous behaviour had all visible windows (those from both 1 and 2)
reported as being on workspace 1, so that they'd all be on the active
workspace (since EWMH has no concept of two workspaces being visible at
once)