[xmonad] Only report focused workspace as active to EWMH

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Oct 11 05:23:20 EDT 2009

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 10.10.2009, 17:52 -0600 schrieb Justin Bogner:
>   Currently, when using xinerama and the EwmhLayoutHook, we report all
>   visible windows as being on the active workspace. This causes panels'
>   workspace switchers and the like to think windows are shifting to new
>   workspaces every time we change workspace.
>
>   This patch changes the behaviour so that only the focused workspace is
>   reported, which fixes this behaviour at the cost of panels' window
>   lists only reporting the focused windows, rather than all visible
>   windows (which is a little strange, but makes more sense given
>   xmonad's workspace model.)

I didn’t try it, because at the moment I don’t have a second screen, but
from what I read, I’m unsure if it’s a good idea.

Not having windows that are not on the current workspace show up in
window lists is a bad idea, as more than just a workspace switcher
relies on that (window lists, and even unrelated tools like my arbtt,
need to have all windows in _NET_CLIENT_LIST).

(but maybe I’m misunderstanding your patch)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner