[xmonad] Problem with Emacs and XMonad

Deniz Dogan deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:47:29 EDT 2009

2009/6/9 Bruce Stephens <xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 2009/6/9 Constantine Verutin <cverutin at gmail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>>> The solution is to set up emacs font in .Xresources, not in ~/.emacs
>
>> Thanks for your reply. This method worked just fine in earlier
>> versions of Emacs 23, but since a few months ago, it doesn't seem to
>> work anymore. Setting the font in ~/.emacs doesn't work either, so
>> I'm kind of lost for ideas.
>
> Works for me, though I use .Xdefaults rather than .Xresources, and
> (probably critically) I have "xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults" executed
> during X session startup.

Even when merging .Xdefaults it doesn't work. Are you by any chance
using emacsclient? Because this only seems to happen with the first
frame opened with normal Emacs. Any additional frames in the same
Emacs instances behave correctly.

> The problem I have is with emacs frames that turn on toolbar-mode.
> Mostly I don't use it, but for one frame (the one I use for gnus) I
> do.  When the toolbar appears, it is as though the frame sticks out
> below the screen until I switch workspaces, then stuff seems to get
> resized correctly.  (Probably it would be easiest just to turn off
> toolbar-mode entirely, of course.)

I turn off pretty much everything in ~/.emacs (scrollbars, toolbar,
menubar, fringes).

--
Deniz Dogan

PS. Sorry for replying directly to you, Bruce.