[xmonad] Problem with Emacs and XMonad

Bruce Stephens xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 15:14:05 EDT 2009

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/6/9 Constantine Verutin <cverutin at gmail.com>:

[...]

>> The solution is to set up emacs font in .Xresources, not in ~/.emacs

> Thanks for your reply. This method worked just fine in earlier
> versions of Emacs 23, but since a few months ago, it doesn't seem to
> work anymore. Setting the font in ~/.emacs doesn't work either, so
> I'm kind of lost for ideas.

Works for me, though I use .Xdefaults rather than .Xresources, and
(probably critically) I have "xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults" executed
during X session startup.

The problem I have is with emacs frames that turn on toolbar-mode.
Mostly I don't use it, but for one frame (the one I use for gnus) I
do.  When the toolbar appears, it is as though the frame sticks out
below the screen until I switch workspaces, then stuff seems to get
resized correctly.  (Probably it would be easiest just to turn off
toolbar-mode entirely, of course.)