[xmonad] Fullscreen games

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 12:20:02 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Joseph Garvin
<joseph.h.garvin at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the best window setting for fullscreen games with xmonad? I
> want tiling most of the time, but for fullscreen games I'd prefer to
> have xmonad keep its hands off. But if I use doFloat, then my game is
> almost fullscreen but has an ugly red border around it (I like the
> border when I'm using tiled windows, just not for fullscreen games,
> otherwise I'd just disable it entirely), and if I use doIgnore, then
> my game gets mouse focus but not keyboard focus. Neither option is
> optimal. Is there a way to disable the border on a per window basis,
> or to make it give an ignored window keyboard focus before ignoring
> it, or some other clever hack?

The strategy in my xmonad.hs (on the wiki) is that first, I use
smartBorders, so full-screen programs have no border. Secondly, I
unfloat  the games I play, since otherwise they would be floated and
have a border.

This way, the workspace a game is open on is not paralyzed by the
floating fullscreened game, and I avoid any border issues.

--
gwern