[xmonad] A New Solution to Removing the GHC Dependency

Fred Blasdel blasdelf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 19:26:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> 2. At a more fundamental level--and I realize I am bordering on
>     heresy here--*why* do we care about making it easy for people who
>     don't want to install ghc to run xmonad?  I'm not saying there
>     aren't any good answers to this question, just that it should be
>     considered seriously.

THANK YOU.

All of this bullshit evangelizing (mostly from non-coders) in the free
software community has been getting obnoxious. The last thing small
community projects need is influxes of clueless users attracted to the
*marketing* instead of the functionality.

The ghc dependency is the foundation of what makes xmonad unique -- the fact
that the 'config file' is actually the program itself.

If it didn't have that fundamental design, the implementation language
wouldn't matter at all from a user perspective. Without it and the
functionality it enables, the only other feature that really differentiates
it from other tiling window managers is the way it handles Xinerama
(independent viewports onto a pool of desktops), and that's broken on Debian
because of their usual packaging bullshit ;)

 -- Fred