[xmonad] A New Solution to Removing the GHC Dependency

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 22 14:33:44 EDT 2008

I think this could be a good idea.  However, allow me to play devil's
advocate for a minute.  There are a few questions that come to the top
of my head immediately:

  1. Is there any evidence that having to upload their config file to
     some webpage and downloading the generated executable would be
     any less onerous to users than installing ghc?  It seems like it
     could be a lot of work for not much benefit.  (Someone else
     suggested a command-line interface, which could certainly make
     things much nicer.)

  2. At a more fundamental level--and I realize I am bordering on
     heresy here--*why* do we care about making it easy for people who
     don't want to install ghc to run xmonad?  I'm not saying there
     aren't any good answers to this question, just that it should be
     considered seriously.

Anyway, I reiterate that I am not trying to argue against this idea--I
think it is fundamentally a good idea-- just suggesting some things
for further thought.

-Brent