[xmonad] I need help with mouse resize

Andrea Rossato andrea.rossato at unibz.it
Tue Feb 12 06:51:25 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 02:12:02PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>  The usual way to do this is to place a transparent window (InputOnly, often
>  called an "event window") over the place where you want to intercept clicks
>  and select for ButtonPress on it.  Selecting for ButtonPress on the whole
>  window (a) requires you to calculate whether to pay attention to it or not
>  (b) complicates things when the application owning the window is *also*
>  selecting for ButtonPress in the same area.

b) is the real problem I think, which basically makes my attempted
approach wrong: the application will prevail and you won't be able to
move the window, unless you grab the border (when there is one).

Moreover, I came to the conclusion that mouse resize is *not* related
to decorations (only mouse focus and mouse drag are, since the pointer
is operating with the decorations).

So I'm going to remove the code from Decoration and write a layout
modifier in a separated contrib module (as you suggested at the
beginning on IRC if I remember correctly), to be used together with
WindowArranger and any possible layout (with decorated ones among
them). This way we can have different approaches (grabbing the corner,
the corners, the borders too and so on).

Thanks.
Andrea