[xmonad] xmonad 0.8 release candidate

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 16:23:59 EDT 2008

On 2008.08.20 16:57:39 -0500, Spencer Janssen <spencerjanssen at gmail.com> scribbled 1.7K characters:
> The xmonad team has finally been `seq`ed into making a new release, and there
> are a few things you can do to help:
>
>  - test these release candidate tarballs
>     http://xmonad.org/xmonad-0.7.20080820.tar.gz
>     http://xmonad.org/xmonad-contrib-0.7.20080820.tar.gz
>  - let us know about any critical issues that should be fixed before the
>    release
>  - check the documentation of your favorite modules, and submit bugs or patches
>    for any missing docs
>  - contributors please only push bugfixes and documentation updates until 0.8
>    is released
>  - help us update the wiki documentation (the KDE and GNOME guides should be
>    updated to use XMonad.Config.*, for example)
>  - check the brief change list below, and tell me what I've missed.  These
>    changes will be mentioned in the release announcement, so we're looking for
>    new functionality, important bug fixes, and compatibility notices
>
> See you on the other side of 0.8,
> The xmonad team
>
> core:
>     gaps removed
>     floats always use current screen
>     setlocale/make title locale aware
>     performance hack, reduced window redraws
>     made (|||) associative
>
> contrib:
>     Perworkspace: selectively apply layout modifiers to workspaces
>     ManageDocks: ability to toggle gaps on each side of the screen separately
>     HintedGride layout
>     XMonad.Layout.Gaps: a layout modifier for manual gaps
>     locale awareness for window titles, UTF-8 support
>     ManageHelpers: some support for _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
>     XMonad.Config.{Desktop, Gnome, Kde, Xfce}
>     XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog: xmobar function for starting xmobar
>     WindowNavigation improvements
>     PlainConfig?
>     remove ScratchWorkspace (no longer maintained)
>     XMonad.Hooks.FadeInactive: works with xcompmgr to fade inactive windows
>     new Scratchpad

Before we do a release, I have a question: are we actually up to date on patches?

When I look at DarcsWatch <http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/repo_http:__code.haskell.org_XMonadContrib.html>, I see a number of patches, and some of them look good. For example, one patch adds some more search engines to Action.Search <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005663.html>. Now, it doesn't apply cleanly, but that's probably because it's been sitting around since May, and I don't see any replies to it saying yea or nay.

Or how about this UpdatePointer patch <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005845.html>? No comments, applies cleanly, and doesn't look fatally flawed to me.

Another example: runOrCopy: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005799.html>. I did criticize the duplication, but what I meant by that was to fix it or add a comment (TODO/FIXME) about the issue - I didn't intend for it to not be applied at all.

Well, I think you get the idea. Perhaps before patches get even more stale and forgotten than they already are, we could go through DarcsWatch and clear out patches (and ask Nomeata to remove some of the irrelevant ones like the Xfce one.)

--
gwern
Iraq Hercules Bosnia Summercon Compsec 20 Albright EuroFed RDI encryption