[xmonad] xmonad 0.8 release candidate

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 16:51:55 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 04:23:59PM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> Before we do a release, I have a question: are we actually up to date on patches?
>
> When I look at DarcsWatch <http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/repo_http:__code.haskell.org_XMonadContrib.html>, I see a number of patches, and some of them look good. For example, one patch adds some more search engines to Action.Search <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005663.html>. Now, it doesn't apply cleanly, but that's probably because it's been sitting around since May, and I don't see any replies to it saying yea or nay.

Re-record and send it if you think it is worthwhile.

> Or how about this UpdatePointer patch <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005845.html>? No comments, applies cleanly, and doesn't look fatally flawed to me.

It has the words 'UpdatePointer' in it, which at one time had several patches
and workarounds that tended to subtly break other things.  This patch is
probably okay, I can take a look at it after the release.

> Another example: runOrCopy: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005799.html>. I did criticize the duplication, but what I meant by that was to fix it or add a comment (TODO/FIXME) about the issue - I didn't intend for it to not be applied at all.

When a patch gets criticism from the module's author, how else should we react?
If you'd like this patch to be pushed with some additional changes you can
apply it locally and send the patch along with your modifications.

> Well, I think you get the idea. Perhaps before patches get even more stale and forgotten than they already are, we could go through DarcsWatch and clear out patches (and ask Nomeata to remove some of the irrelevant ones like the Xfce one.)
>
> --
> gwern
> Iraq Hercules Bosnia Summercon Compsec 20 Albright EuroFed RDI encryption

I don't think it is wise to apply all these patches before the release.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen