[xmonad] new contrib modules in XMonad.Prompt

Valery V. Vorotyntsev valery.vv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 16:30:45 EST 2007

On 11/28/07, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just pushed a few new contrib modules and wanted to highlight them here in
> case anyone might find them useful, or think of something interesting to do
> with them.  Basically, I just discovered the excellent XMonad.Prompt
> framework and have been playing around with it.
>
> * The first is XMonad.Prompt.AppendFile, which simply provides a prompt for
> you to type a single line of text which should be appended to a file.  I use
> it for quickly writing down notes/reminders/todos that pop into my head into
> a special file, when I don't want to interrupt whatever else I'm doing.  You
> could also use it for, say, writing a new xmonad contrib module
> line-by-line, although I don't recommend it. =)

Wow. Don't you think `shellPrompt' from XMonad.Prompt.Shell is quite suitable?
It's flexible, it's general, it's... shell.
Run: echo 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Featuritis' >>/home/me/NOTES

> * The next is (IMO) the most interesting, XMonad.Prompt.Input.  It provides
> a nice, modular way to build actions which require user input, using the
> existing prompt system to get the user input.  I also refactored
> XMonad.Prompt a bit to make this possible.
>
> * XMonad.Prompt.Email is a simple example of the sort of thing that's
> possible with XMonad.Prompt.Input; it prompts the user for a recipient, a
> subject, and a short (one-line) body, and sends an e-mail via the GNU 'mail'
> utility.
>
> Comments, suggestions, and (especially) patches welcome!

Yes, these look useful. I haven't read them properly, though: I've updated
GHC to the latest darcs version and can't even configure xmonad now. :)
But your patches might simplify extending XMonad.Prompt.Man:
section-wise manpage completions aren't easy while `getCompletions'
(from XMonad.Prompt) ignores all words in prompt except the last one.

Thank you!

--
vvv