[Xmonad] compositing

Yair Mahalalel yair at mahalalel.com
Tue Nov 6 07:26:16 EST 2007

Hi John,

I attached my copy of focustrans.pl below. I run it with the application
list set to '.' and after running

xcompmgr -cCfF -r10 -o1 -I0.01 -O0.1 -D5 &

The version below runs slowly and badly, but manages to survive for a
few hours before failing. It contains a dependency on X11::Protocol
since I replaced some the calls to external utilities with direct calls
to the server, after parsing the output of those utils didn't work.

Setting the transparency is a single command as well, and should be
quite simple, but I have some integer format conversion problems, so it
still relies settrans-df. I didn't push the matter too hard and just
played with it to understand the X side of things before trying to redo
it as an XMonad extension, but perhaps you'll get it to work. Finding a
top level window list is another problem of the script - its list is far
too long.

If you want to continue discussing this script please reply offline as
I think we wandered quite off the list topic.

Cheers,
Yair.