[Xmonad] compositing

John S. Yates, Jr. john at yates-sheets.org
Mon Nov 5 23:40:05 EST 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 22:27:00 +0200, Yair wrote:

>This is not what you were asking for, but you can achieve a similar
>effect by controlling the transparency of the windows. There's a perl
>script floating around called focustrans.pl, which uses the transset-df
>utility to keep all windows but the one in focus translucent. If you set
>your root image to something bland, this has the effect of toning down
>the whole screen except for focused window, which appears to stand out.
>I find this to be a very intuitive way to keep track of window focus.
>The script itself is an ugly hack, however, and might take some fiddling
>to get working, but it might be worth the effort as the effect is both
>pretty and usable.

Google returns a single hit.  The page is in Japanese:

It dies link to the following perl script:

I have created /usr/local/share/focustrans.apps then start up as follows:

  xcompmgr &
  focustrans.pl /usr/local/share/focustrans.apps &

This starts xmonad as before but has no other effect.  I have minimal
extensions configured.

Your note suggests that you got this working.  So am I doing something
obviously wrong?