[Xmonad] the future of xmonad...

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Jun 9 23:26:57 EDT 2007

mailing_list:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 01:24:22PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 19:57:10 +0200
> > Yes!  We already comment most of our functions, it should just be a
> > matter of adding a | here and there.
>
> Ok. I'll start doing that on a regular basis. Hope to submit patches
> as soon as possible.
>
> > We don't plan to add any hs-plugins functionality at this time --
> > mainly for simplicity's sake.  Of course, if this is achievable in a
> > contrib module, go right ahead!
>
> This is exactly what I was thinking to do, a contrib module. I love
> the design especially for this possibility.
>
> > Tabs are another thing that don't belong in the core -- but we'd like to
> > make xmonad's layout system powerful enough to implement it as a
> > contrib module.  Please let us know when you stumble over limitations
> > of the layout system.
>
> The same here. The ability to design layouts is what makes XMonad very
> promising in my view.

By the way, I've expanded the page described the alternative layout
algorithms in the contrib module.

    http://xmonad.org/contrib.html

includes screenshots of the circle , overlapping layout style and of the
new floating layer support.

Also, I've done more work the last couple of days on serialising the
internal state to stdout (logging = True). There's a tiny C program in
the contrib scripts/ dir that will parse this format, and print a useful
workspace summary to be used by dzen.

-- Don