[Xmonad] XMonadContrib: Tabbed layout bugs

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Fri Jul 6 11:19:41 EDT 2007

Andrea Rossato on 2007-07-06 09:34:00 +0200:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 04:13:48PM -0500, Alec Berryman wrote:
> > I just ran across something like this for the first time today and can
> > reproduce it.  I tried to run eog (a GNOME image viewer) from the
> > command line with a URL and learned that I couldn't.  eog popped up an
> > error message with file not found, but for some reason, instead of being
> > centered on the screen, it was up in the top left corner.  Initially,
> > the image was drawn underneath the tabs (but over my dzen status bar and
> > the xterm that spawned it); when I meta-clicked to move it, the error
> > window was again drawn correctly, and I could not make the window move
> > back underneath the tabs.
> >
> > If the error window had been drawn in the center of the screen there
> > wouldn't have been a problem.  I don't know if that's eog's fault or
> > xmonad's.
>
> Unfortunately I don't run any gnome package and I do not thing I'm
> going to install 2 millions packages to verify the bug with eog...;-)

I also saw it happen with the GIMP last night; it could be that it's a
GTK+ thing with error boxes.  As I mentioned, it's easily reproducable;
if you sent me a patch for xmonad to isoloate the information you're
looking for, I'd be happy to run it for you.  Alternatively, I've
attached a small test case that uses GTK+ dialog boxes.  You can compile
it with:

gcc `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0` `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0` gtk-error-window-under-tabs.c

You should just need GTK+ libs for that, not the full-blown GNOME stack.

> As far as I understand  when a window should be placed above the tabs
> (that is to say, when that window should hide the tabs), and you do
> something (change focus or stuff like that) tabs show up and now cover
> the previous window. Am I getting it correctly?

Mostly.  Tabs should never be drawn on top of a newly-created window.
Changing focus won't snap xmonad into the correct behavior, but
attempting to move or resize the offending window will.

I've attached a screenshot in case you can't compile the sample program.