[Xmonad] XMonadContrib: Tabbed layout bugs

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Thu Jul 5 16:22:08 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 02:52:56PM -0400, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

>  Hi, I have been noticing a few bugs with the contributed Tabbed layout

Since David is getting married I'll try to have a look.

>  (1) Sometimes the tabs will be drawn on top of floating windows.  I think
>  this only happens when a floating window is opened in a location that
>  overlaps with a tab, but I haven't found a systematic way of testing this.

I need a way to verify. I'll try to make some tests.

>  (2) The text in tabs does not properly handle Unicode. I am assuming my
>  applications, for example Firefox, are using UTF8 in their title strings. In
>  such cases the tab is simply blank.  This occurs regardless of whether
>  TabbedLayout is configured with a font that contains the offending glyph or
>  not.  The expected behavior when the font does not have the glyph would be
>  to use a blank or box like many other applications do.

Haskell and C, plus Unicode is a big mess for me (especially the C
side), but I'm interested in the problem and I will have a look and
try to find a solution.

>  (3) This is more of an enhancement, but it would be very useful to be able
>  to specify XFT fonts in addition to "classical" X11 fonts for tabs.

sorry but this is very far from being something I have an idea about.
I have a feeling, though, and it says "No way!"

All the best,
Andrea