[xmonad] Re: Trouble with multiple screens and Nvidia drivers

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Dec 14 10:59:25 EST 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 07:47:36AM +0100, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=E1r=F0ur_=C1rantsson_ wrote:
> Is there a way to force "consistency" such that I'll always end up with
> consistent pairs of workspaces on each of the screens? Say as in,
>
>   Alt-1:
>
>    Screen 1: Workspace 0
>    Screen 0: Workspace 1
>
>   Alt-2:
>
>    Screen 1: Workspace 2
>    Screen 0: Workspace 3
> ?

What you're descibing is the way other window managers work, in which you
view just one workspace at a time, and each workspace includes the contents
of both screens.  I'm not sure why we do this differently.  In a sense,
it's a sort of crude "sticky window" approach that assumes you're actually
only using one screen at a time.

This wouldn't be to hard to create keybindings for.  Alternatively, you
could disable xinerama support in xmonad, and construct your layout
algorithms using *|* so that windows wouldn't be placed on the boundary
between the two screens.  This might be more or less successful, depending
what layouts you want to use, but would definitely be the easiest and most
internally-consistent solution.  (Yes, this is a hack, but that's what's
required to construct a semantics not implemented in xmonad.)
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics