[xmonad] Re: Trouble with multiple screens and Nvidia drivers

Bárður Árantsson spam at scientician.net
Sat Dec 15 05:21:55 EST 2007

David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 07:47:36AM +0100, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=E1r=F0ur_=C1rantsson_ wrote:
>> Is there a way to force "consistency" such that I'll always end up with
>> consistent pairs of workspaces on each of the screens? Say as in,
>>
>>   Alt-1:
>>
>>    Screen 1: Workspace 0
>>    Screen 0: Workspace 1
>>
>>   Alt-2:
>>
>>    Screen 1: Workspace 2
>>    Screen 0: Workspace 3
>> ?
>
> What you're descibing is the way other window managers work, in which you
> view just one workspace at a time, and each workspace includes the contents
> of both screens.  I'm not sure why we do this differently.  In a sense,
> it's a sort of crude "sticky window" approach that assumes you're actually
> only using one screen at a time.

Yup, I'm used to Ion and the current behavior just feels really weird to me.

> This wouldn't be to hard to create keybindings for.  Alternatively, you
> could disable xinerama support in xmonad, and construct your layout
> algorithms using *|* so that windows wouldn't be placed on the boundary
> between the two screens.  This might be more or less successful, depending
> what layouts you want to use, but would definitely be the easiest and most
> internally-consistent solution.  (Yes, this is a hack, but that's what's
> required to construct a semantics not implemented in xmonad.)

As an xmonad hacker do you have any idea how difficult it would be to
implement this?

I'm not entirely foreign to Haskell, but I've never tried to modify the
xmonad code. If I could get any hints as to what bits of code need
tweaking, I'd happily have a whack at it. :)

Bardur Arantsson
<bardurREMOVE at THISscientician.net>

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of
widths.
                                                    Steven Wright