[xmonad] Issue 96 in xmonad: certain dialogs get dropped in gnucash

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 10 12:13:34 EST 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:07:34AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On 09/12/2007, codesite-noreply at google.com <codesite-noreply at google.com> wrote:
> > Issue 96: certain dialogs get dropped in gnucash
> > http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=96
> >
> > Comment #1 by jcreigh:
> > This is definitely an xmonad bug, as the problem does not occur if
> > Gnucash windows
> > are ignored (with, eg, className =? "Gnucash" --> doIgnore)
>
> I bet I know what this bug is (I;m assuming transient windows here):
>
> The window is being mapped and unmapped.  If you were to use something
> like xscope then you might see that:
>
> a) Application sends a mapRequest.
> a1) Before xmonad has a chance to do that, the application asks to be
> put in the WithDrawn state (via a synthetic UnmapNotify event).
> b) The window is mapped.
> c) GNUCash sends a MapRequest.
> d) Another UnmapNotify request is sent and the window is UnMapped.
> e) The MapRequest from (c) is handled and a real UnMapNotify request
> is issued causing the window it close, never being mapped again.

Anyone feel like clueing me in on what this really means? It sounds to
me, from my minimal understanding of the above list, like GnuCash may
be at fault (or at least one it's libs -- gtk?) and xmonad is just
listening to what it says instead of gracefully ignoring conflicting
requests.

But I'm no gui nor WM programmer, so I'd love a little education :)