[xmonad] Issue 96 in xmonad: certain dialogs get dropped in gnucash

Thomas Adam thomas.adam22 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:44:05 EST 2007

Hi --

On 10/12/2007, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew at swclan.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:07:34AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > a) Application sends a mapRequest.
> > a1) Before xmonad has a chance to do that, the application asks to be
> > put in the WithDrawn state (via a synthetic UnmapNotify event).
> > b) The window is mapped.
> > c) GNUCash sends a MapRequest.
> > d) Another UnmapNotify request is sent and the window is UnMapped.
> > e) The MapRequest from (c) is handled and a real UnMapNotify request
> > is issued causing the window it close, never being mapped again.
> >

> Anyone feel like clueing me in on what this really means? It sounds to
> me, from my minimal understanding of the above list, like GnuCash may
> be at fault (or at least one it's libs -- gtk?) and xmonad is just
> listening to what it says instead of gracefully ignoring conflicting
> requests.

No -- the window manager is doing what it has been told to do, the
problem is with what the ICCCM says about how to handle such cases.

I should point out I have no idea if the issue reported is what I have
outlined or not, I'm simply guessing.

A window can be mapped and in the WithDrawn state (i.e., not
displayed) on screen.  The long and short of what I've detailed there
is that should a MapRequest is followed by a synthetic (fake)
UnmapNotify request it should simply ignore the MapRequest, since it
will map it properly when the real MapRequest is issued.

-- Thomas Adam