[Xmonad] Switching focus without pulling hidden windows into the foreground

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Aug 1 13:18:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:10:28PM +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Hi,
> I often have this scenario:
>   - one editor window
>   - one shell window
> From the shell window I open a file in a third window, check some things
> and make notes in the editor. To have no space occupied by the shell I
> use the TwoPane layout then. (The editor as master, the file viewer as
> the only visible slave.)
> The problem with it is that if I switch from editor to the viewer or
> vice versa the non-master window gets replaced by the shell window
> first, so that I need to focusDown several times.
> Is it possible to switch focus only between visible windows without
> pulling hidden ones into the foreground?

It'd be an easy extension to write, but imagine it would be specific to the
TwoPane layout, since I don't see how this could be implemented using the
actual property of "switch focus between visible" windows.  Instead it'd be
"switch focus between the first two windows".
David Roundy
Department of Physics
Oregon State University