[Xmonad] Switching focus without pulling hidden windows into the foreground

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Aug 1 13:18:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:10:28PM +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I often have this scenario:
>
>   - one editor window
>   - one shell window
>
> From the shell window I open a file in a third window, check some things
> and make notes in the editor. To have no space occupied by the shell I
> use the TwoPane layout then. (The editor as master, the file viewer as
> the only visible slave.)
>
> The problem with it is that if I switch from editor to the viewer or
> vice versa the non-master window gets replaced by the shell window
> first, so that I need to focusDown several times.
>
> Is it possible to switch focus only between visible windows without
> pulling hidden ones into the foreground?

It'd be an easy extension to write, but imagine it would be specific to the
TwoPane layout, since I don't see how this could be implemented using the
actual property of "switch focus between visible" windows.  Instead it'd be
"switch focus between the first two windows".
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics