[web-devel] [BUG] in WAI definition

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Fri Feb 20 09:17:09 EST 2009

Johan Tibell ha scritto:
> Hi Manlio,
>
> Thanks for reporting the bugs and sorry for the late reply.
>
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
>> I'm trying to compile the example WAI application, as defined in
>> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WebApplicationInterface
>>
>> However there are several bugs.
>
> I haven't given the WAI specification much attention since I first
> wrote it.

I have noted that there is a WAI module in your Hyena web application
server.

http://github.com/tibbe/hyena

I think that, instead, WAI should be defined in a separate package, that
should contain:

1) WAI specification
2) WAI data types (hyena.Network.Wai.hs)
3) Some utility functions (see Python wsgiref module)
4) Standard implementation for CGI

Since Haskell is not Python, it is necessary that both gateways and
applpications use the same data types.

Then, in separate packages, it is possible to implement support for
SCGI, FastCGI and a simple HTTP 1.0 server (a full HTTP 1.1 server is
not a priority, IMHO).

IMHO, the WAI (or a separate) package should also contain support for
parsing HTTP headers (to be used my both servers, gateways and
applications).
If there is a thing I hate, is when every project reinvent the wheel.

One last note.
I have some doubts about the name WAI.
It means "Web application interface", but I think that the word
"Gateway" should appear in it.

Something like:
HSGI ("Haskell Server Gataway Interface", that can also be read as "HTTP
Server Gataway Interface"), or simply HGI ("Haskell Gateway Interface").

Manlio