[web-devel] A light-weight web framework

Paul Brown paulrbrown at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:39:07 EDT 2007

Let me through Avi Bryant's recent slides into the conversation:

http://smallthought.com/avi/etech.pdf

Some things that I think, some of which overlap with what Avi's saying:

1) Programmatic generation of content is good.  Interaction with
designers can be managed simply -- select CSS as the primary means of
customizing display, settle on prototype HTML for the designers to
work with, generate the HTML programmatically to that prototype as a
spec.

2) Templating is ugly.  Debugging and testing are difficult.
Templating is antipodal to separation of concerns.

I'd like us to brainstorm on a couple of topics:

A) How do we leverage what is special about Haskell -- laziness,
types, purity -- to create an effective and simple web framework?

B) What's wrong with existing web frameworks (RoR, straight JSP, PHP, etc.)?

For my money, the things that are wrong with RoR and friends is that
they let you write really awful software -- even *force* you to do so
by the decomposition into templates, controllers, etc.  Which brings
us back to question A.

paulrbrown at gmail.com
http://mult.ifario.us/