[web-devel] A light-weight web framework

Maurice Codik maurice.codik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:17:58 EDT 2007

A few things, some of which I sort of mentioned in my previous email:

- If I'm already going to commit some time to learn a templating language,
why dont I just spend that same amount of time learning the little bit of
haskell I need to make the template work? If thats too much to ask, I can
just spit out HTML, and have the programmer put in the dynamic parts for me.
Both of these scenarios seem to be a more efficient use of time.

- Who is the target audience? If its a big organization where there are
multiple designers and multiple devs, then your approach may work just fine.
If its the single developer, then something like what David suggested would
work even better. If its a small team (which may or may not include a
full-time designer), then something like what I suggested would work best.
For a web framework for haskell, I would guess that the latter two are much
more likely.

- Embedding a real programming language in a template already gives you
power to do what ever you need to do. What if you need to implement some
logic that the template language doesnt support? In those cases, you're
usually out of luck and have to move that logic into a controller, where it
doesnt really belong (assuming its actual display logic, not business
logic).

- It's really just a matter of taste. Any web framework thats worth using
should be flexible in its support of view technologies, but come with one
thats a sensible default.

Maurice

--
http://blog.mauricecodik.com