Improving Random

Alexey Kuleshevich alexey at kuleshevi.ch
Wed Jun 3 08:56:05 UTC 2020

> Can I also ask why this happened?

I don't know why, maybe Carter can shed some light for us why he abused his power and dropped another maintainer of core library without any explanation.
I suspect that he got upset about Dominic saying publicly not to use `random` because it is of poor quality [1], which I can only deduce from Carter's response in [2]
I am not sure if it happened immediately, but the wiki was updated a few months later [3]

[1] - https://github.com/haskell/random/issues/51#issuecomment-441432594

[2] - https://github.com/haskell/random/issues/51#issuecomment-441440869
[3] - https://wiki.haskell.org/index.php?title=Library_submissions&type=revision&diff=62744&oldid=62312

> This looks quite similar to what we've seen in the vector package a while ago;

This does look very similar indeed. I participated on the issue #265 and I am very surprised that it was deleted! It was an important ticket that discussed lack of maintainship and poor release process currently practiced in `vector` package.

I do not want to derail this conversation away from `random`, but this seems like a recurring pattern. I believe many will agree with me that this is not an acceptable way of maintaining core packages. I can't think of a better time for CLC to get involved and do something about the problem at hand.

Alexey.