Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at
Sun Mar 30 23:02:30 UTC 2014

On 30/03/14 23:43, Mark Lentczner wrote:
> *happy *bumped to* 1.19.3*
> *alex *bumped to* 3.1.3*
> *haddock *bumped to* 2.14.1*
> *- but question about tying to GHC release still open: The concern is since
> GHC ships with it's doc built with the haddock executable it ships, will we
> have problems building the rest of the docs with a later haddock -- and
> having all the cross references work?*

It will work provided that the Haddock used has not had the interface
file version changed. While we don't plan on doing this, I don't see why
this is a concern: you're planning to use Haddock that ships with the
GHC version you're going to use, right? All the documentation that will
come with it will be generated with the same version.

> As for GHC 7.8.2 - Where is the plan for 7.8.2 documented? It is barely
> mentioned in the GHC mailing list, and no mention in the GHC trac wiki, and
> the issues milestone has scant info.

I don't think there's an official plan but the window for 7.8.1 features
is pretty much closed but there are still fixes &c that people want in.
I think it has been pretty much agreed to (at least in #ghc on Freenode)
that 7.8.2 is happening although I can't speak for the GHC team here.

> I'm very reluctant to hold out for an unknown GHC release. Unless we have
> good reason to think that GHC 7.8.1 is a bad release and will leave scads
> of people with broken build systems.... I'd like to continue to plan on
> releasing HP in mid May (so on schedule for 2014.2.0.0). As such, unless
> the turn of 7.8.2 comes within a week or two of 7.8.1 - let's stick with
> 7.8.1.

Well, 7.8.1 is not actually out yet but from what I gather, 7.8.2 is to
follow very soon afterwards. Again, this is just hearsay. As I
mentioned, we have a pretty bad bug to do with Clang where everyone on
OSX won't be able to build docs for certain libraries. I believe Austin
found a workaround but I don't know if he's planning to monkey-patch
that into 7.8.1 or not (and if he is, we'll have to bump the Haddock
version anyway). I am sure there are other problems holding up the
release at this point. Perhaps it would be worthwhile asking on ghc-devs?

> Finally - note that part of my big push to totally re-write the Haskell
> Platform is so that we can all feel more confident turning a version more
> quickly if we need. If 7.8.2 comes out this Summer, and we think it is an
> important enough improvement - we can turn HP too.
> - Mark
> _______________________________________________
> Libraries mailing list
> Libraries at

Mateusz K.

More information about the Libraries mailing list