Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 22:43:30 UTC 2014

*happy *bumped to* 1.19.3*
*alex *bumped to* 3.1.3*
*haddock *bumped to* 2.14.1*

*- but question about tying to GHC release still open: The concern is since
GHC ships with it's doc built with the haddock executable it ships, will we
have problems building the rest of the docs with a later haddock -- and
having all the cross references work?*

As for GHC 7.8.2 - Where is the plan for 7.8.2 documented? It is barely
mentioned in the GHC mailing list, and no mention in the GHC trac wiki, and
the issues milestone has scant info.

I'm very reluctant to hold out for an unknown GHC release. Unless we have
good reason to think that GHC 7.8.1 is a bad release and will leave scads
of people with broken build systems.... I'd like to continue to plan on
releasing HP in mid May (so on schedule for 2014.2.0.0). As such, unless
the turn of 7.8.2 comes within a week or two of 7.8.1 - let's stick with
7.8.1.

Finally - note that part of my big push to totally re-write the Haskell
Platform is so that we can all feel more confident turning a version more
quickly if we need. If 7.8.2 comes out this Summer, and we think it is an
important enough improvement - we can turn HP too.

- Mark

​