Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 31 07:55:27 UTC 2014

As for GHC 7.8.2 - Where is the plan for 7.8.2 documented? It is barely mentioned in the GHC mailing list, and no mention in the GHC trac wiki, and the issues milestone has scant info.
We have not begun to think about when to release 7.8.2.  It’ll depend on what issues show up in 7.8.1 and how urgent they seem to be.  We have delayed 7.8.1 for ages, and given masses of warning about the release, so I’d be sad if there are known, show-stopping bugs in it that we already know about.  If there really really really are, maybe we should delay 7.8.1 further.  But that process can go on indefinitely (as we have already seen), so I’m pretty reluctant.

But I’d certainly listen to a consensus view from the HP team. You represent our customers.

Simon