New version of vector + discussion

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:46:46 UTC 2014

By all means. We're all new to this process. =)

I just wanted to throw up a big red flag and make sure we actually did this
right, especially as the last quickee backport blew up.

The main thing we're trying to do with vector is move to actually following
the libraries@ process like other packages. Folks propose things,
preferably with patches. The maintainer maintains it and ultimately decides
on inclusion, like with everything else in the platform, etc.

Heretofore it has been more or less controlled chaos. That started when the
package slid into community hands when Roman washed his hands of it, but it
has led to the case where master and the stuff in wide use have been
getting farther and farther out of sync.

-Edward