New version of vector + discussion

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Thu Jun 26 18:17:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Heretofore it has been more or less controlled chaos. That started when
> the package slid into community hands when Roman washed his hands of it,
> but it has led to the case where master and the stuff in wide use have been
> getting farther and farther out of sync.

Some of the libraries packages are quite actively being looked at by
people, and others...not so much. A common scenario for pull requests to
libraries packages is that they languish, untouched, for ages. Is anyone
looking at the pull requests that have been coming in for X11, to give one
example?

My reaction to this scenario is that I subscribe to the notification stream
and if pull requests come across that look relatively uncontroversial, I
review and merge them, just to keep the peanuts rolling along. If,
sometimes, like in this instance, we might have to go back and do a little
bit of work to fix things up afterwards, because two steps forward and one
back is better than nothing happening at all.

Of course, sometimes when you go and do this, someone is actually actively
tending to the repository in question, in which case we need to get a
reminder of this put in the project's README. In general, as you noted,
releases have been a little bit of a free-for-all lately (that's what you
get with conscript labor) and maybe every repo libraries@ maintains should
either have a dedicated release person or release instructions for
community contributors in the readme.

I also don't think that the full review process is necessarily right for
every patch, although clearly this one should have stewed longer in
discussion before being merged. Mea culpa.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>