aeson and dlist in HP 2013.4.0.0

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 21:40:42 UTC 2013

I'm looking at the scientific package, and I thought to myself "huh, it
doesn't seem to normalize the numbers to scientific notation"

it has the right semantics for how printing and operations *mean*, but it
doesn't seem to internally keep them as "normalized" floats.

heres a snippet of a ghci transcript to illustrate this

Prelude Data.Scientific> coefficient $ scientific 1000 2
1000
Prelude Data.Scientific> coefficient $ scientific 1 2
1
Prelude Data.Scientific> scientific 1000 2
100000.0
Prelude Data.Scientific> scientific 100 3
100000.0
Prelude Data.Scientific> coefficient $ scientific 10 4
10
Prelude Data.Scientific> scientific 10 4
100000.0
Prelude Data.Scientific> scientific 10 4 == scientific 1 5
True

shoudn't an "exact" model of scientific notation format numbers keep them
in normalized form?  (ie clip the trailing zeros and such)