aeson and dlist in HP 2013.4.0.0

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Nov 27 22:13:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, Carter Schonwald wrote:

> I'm looking at the scientific package, and I thought to myself "huh, it doesn't seem to normalize the
> numbers to scientific notation"
> it has the right semantics for how printing and operations *mean*, but it doesn't seem to internally keep
> them as "normalized" floats.

The mantissa is stored as Integer. I think that is the only way to keep
all digits. But with that representation it is certainly not sensible to
normalize to the most significant digit. A reasonable normalization might
be to divide the mantissa by a power of 10 such that the mantissa is not a
multiple of 10.