HP 2013 packages shaping up...

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Sat Feb 9 21:04:51 CET 2013

On 02/09/2013 06:18 PM, Mark Lentczner wrote:
> Here's the state of platform as I see it shaping up for 2013.2:
>
> [..]
This is looking like a great year for the platform!

> Proposals I'd like to see for 2013.2:
>
>   * *unordered-containers: *though, perhaps Johan is going to meld
>     that into *containers*? I'd like to see the development plan for
>     this (and *hashable*) settled.
>   * *aeson:* we need this in the platform, as JSON has
>     become ubiquitous. It requires settling *hashable* and
>     *unordered-containers*.
>
> Proposals that will take some more thought, hence not likely for 2013.2:
>
>   * *test-framework* & friends: these require a number of other
>     packages like *ansi-terminal* and *hostname*. I suspect they
>     should all just go in, but it will take some time to review and
>     prep all that.
>   * *criterion* & *statistics:* both require a number of smaller
>     packages we don't have like *erf* and *math-functions*. Again,
>     will take time to sort out.

I'm especially interested in seeing aeson, criterion and test-framework
make it into the platform. I'd also like to become more involved in the
Haskell ecosystem, so - is there anything I can do to help? While I'm
roughly familiar with the philosophy of the platform is there any thing
I should read about how to contribute? Are there clear guidelines on the
steps that a package needs to go through before it can be added?
> Areas still looking for good candidates (if these are simple could
> make it this round):
>
>   * simple db like dbm or sqlite support
>   * file utils for common file system manipulations
>   * logging
>   * 2D graphics - perhaps gloss and/or diagrams?

I'd also through in configuration into the mix (configurator?), and also
perhaps command line argument parsing (optparse-applicative? cmdtheline?).

- ocharles