HP 2013 packages shaping up...

Alp Mestanogullari alpmestan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:00:50 CET 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com>wrote:

>    - *JuicyPixels:* people like the idea of having a library like this
>    one, perhaps even this one, but there is concern that this API hasn't baked
>    enough.
>
> The library is currently being improved significantly performance-wise, so
waiting a bit won't hurt. I will also try to write a blog post or two about
it, providing some kind of tutorial. But it's definitely a domain that
would be nice to have covered by HP at some point.

Areas still looking for good candidates (if these are simple could make it
> this round):
>
>    - simple db like dbm or sqlite support
>
> I guess sqllite-simple, mysql-simple and friends (?) could be considered
here.

>    - file utils for common file system manipulations
>
> Bryan wrote a package for this, I have used it in a few projects and
everything went pretty smoothly:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/filemanip -- this would only bring
unix-compat in. Maybe could be considered at some point too? Plus, it has
the 'bos' guarantee.

>    - 2D graphics - perhaps gloss and/or diagrams?
>
> Having used both I can only agree. But that starts bringing in quite a few
dependencies. I guess it's something we can't avoid at some point anyway.

--
Alp Mestanogullari