Proposal: Add (&) to Data.Function

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 20 20:48:32 CET 2012

On 20 November 2012 18:52, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:
> ("HELLO",42)
>
> could be written
>
> _2 .~ 42 $ _1.traverse .~ toUpper $ ("hello","world")

Surely, you must be joking.  That's some butt-ugly piece of code.
Let's not try to turn Haskell into J or Perl.

Personally, I like neither (&) nor (|>).  The latter is used in
OCaml/F# but looks quite ugly (I know rendering it as a latex triangle
would look pretty nice, but we can't rely on everyone having that
option).  Regarding, (&) I agree that it looks a bit like bitwise or,
but I suspect that is something that people can get used to quite
quickly.  I agree with Johan that "works well with
<some-non-platform-library>" should not be a criterion.

+0.2 for (&),  and +0.1 for (|>)