remove Foreign.Marshal.Error.void

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Mar 18 11:21:17 CET 2012

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, Bas van Dijk wrote:

> On 16 March 2012 05:38, Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So now that we have void in Control.Monad, can we remove it from
>> Foreign.Marshal.Error?  Or at least make them the same function?  It's
>> mildly annoying when importing both Control.Monad and Foreign winds up
>> with ambiguous symbol errors.
>
> +1 for first making it the same function and then removing it from
> Foreign.Marshal.Error.

You could skip the step of making Foreign.Marshal.Error.void and
Control.Monad.void the same function and deprecate
Foreign.Marshal.Error.void immediately. However I generally think that
explicit or qualified imports are the best way to avoid name clashes.
There are many programmers out there that do not program Haskell every day
and do not know where 'void' is defined when they read a Haskell program.