Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 16:04:36 CET 2010

On 12/11/2010 19:38, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On 12 November 2010 18:58, Malcolm Wallace<malcolm.wallace at me.com>  wrote:
>>> since we have after all been shipping GPL tools and LGPL C libs along with
>>> ghc for
>>> some years.
>>
>> Indeed.   For many years, every program compiled by ghc (using libgmp to
>> implement the unbounded Integer type) automatically fell under the terms of
>> the LGPL.  Is that still the case?
>
> Yes.

Well, it's not clear that the license on GMP applies to executables that
just dynamically link against it.  There is considerable disagreement on
that point, AIUI.  But executables that dynamically link against GMP are
in compliance with the LGPL anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

We also use system calls, and yet the Linux kernel is GPL'd...

Cheers,
	Simon