Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 15:58:48 CET 2010

On 12/11/2010 20:22, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>>> "The authors and publisher intend this Report to belong to the entire
>>> Haskell community, and grant permission to copy and distribute it for
>>> any
>>> purpose, provided that it is reproduced in its entirety, including this
>>> Notice. Modified versions of this Report may also be copied and
>>> distributed
>>> for any purpose, provided that the modified version is clearly
>>> presented as
>>> such, and that it does not claim to be a definition of the language
>>> Haskell
>>> 98[2010]."
>>
>> Ah, so you read the second sentence as an alternative, so you can
>> comply by picking either the first or the second. Does that mean if we
>> pick the second that we do not need to include the notice? :-)
>
> It seems to me that if you distribute a modified version of the Report,
> but still include the notice, then you are explicitly disobeying its terms.

As we well know, Engilsh is a very poor language for specifying things
precisely.  The intent of the license as it applies to us is pretty
clear though - we have to say where we got the code from, and say that
it does not constitute a definition of Haskell 98/2010.  We have to
include the notice in as much as it applies to downstream distributors,
because they're also distributing modified versions of the report.

Cheers,
	Simon