Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Sun Dec 5 23:28:07 CET 2010

On 4 December 2010 00:04, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed.   For many years, every program compiled by ghc (using libgmp to
>>> implement the unbounded Integer type) automatically fell under the terms
>>> of
>>> the LGPL.  Is that still the case?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Well, it's not clear that the license on GMP applies to executables that
> just dynamically link against it.  There is considerable disagreement on
> that point, AIUI.  But executables that dynamically link against GMP are in
> compliance with the LGPL anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
>
> We also use system calls, and yet the Linux kernel is GPL'd...

~/src/linux/linux-2.6$ head COPYING

   NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
 services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
 of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
 Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
 Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
 kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.

 Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel
 is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not