[Haskell-cafe] library for drawing charts

Tim Docker twd2 at dockerz.net
Wed May 28 10:09:02 EDT 2008

On 28/05/2008, at 3:16 AM, Peter Gammie wrote:

> So the library itself supports drawing these other types of charts?
> Can you steer me towards some sample outputs?

I'm not sure what you mean here. There's three libraries involved there:

       - the charts library - this currently draws line/point plots
etc (samples as shown on the web page)
       - the cairo library - this is a general purpose 2D drawing API
       - the gtkhs library - used if you want to show images drawn
with cairo directly to the screen

At present there's no code for bar and pie charts.

> BTW Bjorn has written a binding to libgd. Does Cairo have similar
> functionality, e.g. quizzing an image file for geometry info?

I don't know much about libgd, but having just read a description of it:

"GD is an open source code library for the dynamic creation of images
by programmers. GD creates PNG, JPEG and GIF images, among other
formats. GD is commonly used to generate charts, graphics,
thumbnails, and most anything else, on the fly. While not restricted
to use on the web, the most common applications of GD involve web
site development."

it sounds like it overlaps with cairo a fair bit. Cairo has backends
for vector as well as raster formats, however, and also supports
hardware acceleration.

Tim