-- Cabal-1.2 and Haddock behaviour

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 13:58:58 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 12:57 +0100, Andrea Rossato wrote:

> Now, as far as I understand, in the transition from Cabal-1.1 to
> Cabal-1.2, for which I want to express all my gratitude to the Cabal
> team since it seems to me a huge step forward in the right direction,
> a small and undocumented change happened: documentation used to be
> installed in
> "$PREFIX/share/packagename-version/doc/html"
> now, instead, it is installed in
> "$PREFIX/share/doc/packagename-version/html"

Yes.

> Almost the same, you may say. Probably someone thought it was cooler
> this way. Maybe someone else, in the future, may think differently and
> change it once again.

At the same time we made it configurable:

runghc Setup.hs configure --docdir=

there's also --htmldir=

It's documented in the Cabal users guide:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/Cabal/builders.html#setup-configure-paths
and in the configure --help output.

You're quite right that we missed it out of the Cabal changelog. Sorry
about that.

Please don't give up on packaging for Slackware, packaging is so
important. I'm sorry that stuff changes. There are usually good reasons
for these changes but I do accept that we need to consider transitions
more and document changes.

Duncan