-- Re: -- Cabal-1.2 and Haddock behaviour

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Nov 10 13:46:22 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 06:58:58PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Please don't give up on packaging for Slackware, packaging is so
> important. I'm sorry that stuff changes. There are usually good reasons
> for these changes but I do accept that we need to consider transitions
> more and document changes.

No, I will not give up... And I also understand that the change was no
arbitrary, but done in order to comply with the standard way of
dealing with documentation in the linux file system. And indeed my
build scripts result now simpler than before. Still, due to some
issues with ghc docs generation, I found out about this problem after
a couple of days spent in dealing with ghc, and only after all the
creation of the build scripts for the last library split had been
done... That can be frustrating, believe me: writing shell scripts is
not what I like most!

I hope tomorrow I'll be able to find the time to write a small
announcement for the haskell-cafe ML, but the Slackware packages are
now available here:
http://gorgias.mine.nu/slack/haskell/

At the present time ghc and ghc-extralibs are available. More will be
added later (as soon as compilable with the new tool chain). The
documentation is decent I would say.

Every package also install a hoogle database. Those databases are
collected together in /var/spool/hoogle/hoogle.

I have this alias my .bashrc:
alias hoogle="hoogle -l /var/spool/hoogle/hoogle"

For every package there is a corresponding build (shell) script. These
scrips are collected in a darcs repository available here:
http://gorgias.mine.nu/repos/haskell-SlackBuild/

(I'm thinking about writing a small haskell application to manage a
direct interaction between slackware and hackage, with an automated
SlackBuild script generation, which is probably going to be less
resource consuming in the long run, and more enjoyable in the short
one ;)

Finally, OpenLA and ALUT are not present since the relative libraries
are missing from a standard Slackware install. ObjectIO is not present
too. X11 has been updated to 1.3.0 since I will be releasing
xmobar-0.8 (a status bar for XMonad), and it requires that version
with the X11-extras merge.

Sorry for writing more to express my frustration than for a real need.
Anyhow, when I said you did a great job I was not ironic or kidding. I
really think it.

Cheers,
Andrea