cabal ignores ld-options?

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Mon Apr 23 19:09:16 EDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:02:39AM +1000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 13:57 +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> > Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps there should be a mechanism to include arbitrary extra .o
> > > files into the archive that cabal produces, but remember that this
> > > would be totally ghc-specific. No other Haskell implementations use
> > > archives or can necessarily link arbitrary .o files.
> >
> > *cough* nhc98
>
> Oh ok :-).
>
> So some (at least nhc, ghc and jhc) support linking to arbitrary .o
> files. So is this a feature that should be exposed through cabal do you
> think? I'm pretty sure there are implementations which do not support
> this: yhc and hugs, though I don't really know how hugs or yhc's ffi
> support works so I might be wrong about that.

IIRC yhc uses the Posix dynamic linker/loader infrastructure, so it
needs .so not .o.

> > Not that Cabal actually supports nhc98 yet...
>
> We'll gladly accept patches :-)

stefan at stefans:~/vty$ ./Setup.lhs configure --help | grep nhc
  -n       --nhc                           compile with NHC
stefan at stefans:~/vty$

If cabal doesn't support NHC, why does it advertise support?

Stefan