Proposal [Trac #1212]: add IPv6 support to network library

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Tue Apr 3 11:18:40 EDT 2007

Sven Panne wrote:

> Naming entities always has a slightly religious touch, but personally I don't
> like those C names in Haskell.

I understand.  In fact, I took a look at the prevailing uses of names in
Network.Socket as I was redoing this patch, and before I committed it.
When I tried to use the "more Haskelly" names like NumericHost and so
on, I found that of the nine names I had, three of them clashed.
"Datagram" clashed with a SocketType, and both AddrInfoFlag and
NameInfoFlag had a NumericHost.  (I mentioned the clashes in my message
yesterday, but not in detail.)

Rather than introduce a new naming scheme of NI_NumericHost and so on, I
opted to be consistent with the other existing scheme in Network.Socket,
of using the C-style names.

> BTW, what's that' DummySocketOption__' thingy?

Not my fault :-)

	<b