What's the story re. darcs.haskell.org?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 11:32:38 EDT 2006

Hello Adrian,

> apparently none ghc related projects. Simon M owns/runs the machine
> and gives out passwords (but I guess you've gotta ask nicely :-)
> It's not intended to be a general communal darcs supporting
> sourceforge type place.

> But I guess most people already know this.

seems that this is a sort of not very wide-known information :)

> So if darcs.haskell.org
> is not the right place, does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

its name suggests that it the good place for homeless haskell-related
projects. anyway we (i mean you and me) asking for place where good
haskellers can host darcs repositories for their projects. if this
can't be done at darcs.haskell.org nor someone can offer other place,
i propose to make directory on regular haskell.org site. something
like www.haskell.org/projects and make darcs repositories here. one
should just ask for haskell.org account in order to become able to
place files here. afaiu now, regular http server is enough to host
darcs projects. updates can be send via email to author of each
project and applied to our "home" darcs repositories and then
propagated to the world by copying all updated files to the
haskell.org server

> What I was looking for was the appropriate place where that
> users and be patch contributors could treat as a "one stop shop"
> for all darcsified projects (and cabalised releases). I.E. same
> stable URL's, easily browsable and all accessible the same way.
> I don't want to run my own server which provides services people
> expect in order to use darcs the "normal" way (whatever that might
> be, I'm afraid I haven't actually used darcs yet, I just want to
> convert a few libs I'm working on to darcs and release them.)

if you need just to _release_ it, cabalizing is much more important -
it allows one to easily install/compile your lib. darcsing, on the
other hand, allow to manage versions, apply patches and so on - i.e.
it's more about maintenance and versioning. it don't make much sense
for rare releases (or just one release). moreover, its' possible to
manage darcs repositories only on local boxes and exchange patches
(using email or this mail list) and it will work perfectly fine.
public darcs repository is just a place where one can download all the
patches instead of scanning, say, mail list

well, i just managed myself to read darcs docs at last week and i
suggest you to do the same :) http://www.darcs.net/manual/bigpage.html

if you need beginners instructions on cabalizing lib - i can help you
(anyway i had plan to write such introduction)

hackage will be a good place too, but wee need instructions on
"hackaging" the lib/app (how many new words! :)  and i'm also
wondering - can hackage description of package point to the darcs
repository (plust tag of concrete version in this repository) ?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com