What's the story re. darcs.haskell.org?

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Oct 12 12:01:35 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Adrian Hey <ahey at iee.org> wrote:
> Aaron Denney wrote:
> > On 2006-10-11, Adrian Hey <ahey at iee.org> wrote:
> >> I don't want to run my own server which provides services people
> >> expect in order to use darcs the "normal" way (whatever that might
> >> be, I'm afraid I haven't actually used darcs yet, I just want to
> >> convert a few libs I'm working on to darcs and release them.)
> >
> > It literally just requires web-space.  If you can get web-space
> > somewhere, it can host a dorcs repository.
>
> Or maybe even a darcs repository :-) I have web space but was
> thinking this would not be workable unless darcs supported ftp
> for writes.
>
> Now looking at the docs I see it does, or it says it does for
> reads in the "Any old server" paragraph, so I suppose it works
> for writes to?

(CC'ing darcs-users BTW)

Although, I can't speak for this approach myself, I think some people
keep a copy of the repository locally and just rsync, unison, ftp,
whatever, and transfer the repository back to the server whenever
there are changes.

This works because people can still send you patches via 'darcs send'.
 There is also darcs-server (written in perl to enhance server
portability) which allows some manner of writting back to the
repository via a webserver if I recall correctly (cgi maybe?).

HTH,
Jason