What's the story re. darcs.haskell.org?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 04:06:22 EDT 2006

Adrian Hey wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> These may be dumb questions, but I'm afraid I haven't been keeping
> up with what's happening in the Haskell world recently..
>
> So..
>
>  Is darcs.haskell.org the recommended place to start a new project?
>
>  If so, who owns/runs this machine and how do I get access to it?
>
>  What's the rationale for it's current organisation e.g. why
>  is there a separate "packages" directory? (There seem to be
>  packages elsewhere) and what's the "packages.hide" directory for?

darcs.haskell.org is physically located at, and run by, the kind folks at
Galois.  We do give out accounts to people for hosting their darcs repositories,
but we're currently looking for a better way to do this.

The organisation of the repos is largely accidental: we initially put all the
packages that came with GHC under packages/, and then various other library
repositories have been created at the top level.

Cheers,
	Simon